London Overground – Euston to Watford – Past & Present
The London Overground service from Euston to Watford has its origins in the London & North Western Railway which opened the line in 1917 between Euston and Watford Junction. The line was electrified as third rail D C from its opening and was worked with distinctive Oerlikon EMUs, which were later augmented by LMS compartment stock delivered in the 1920s.
In British Railways days, the original LNWR and LMS rolling stock was replaced by Class 501 EMUs in 1955.
Tracks were shared with the Bakerloo line from Queens Park to Watford Junction.
In 1985, the class 501s were replaced by Class 313 dual voltage EMUs, maintained by Hornsey depot. Croxley depot closed on 2nd November 1985, having already lost its Bakerloo trains three years earlier.
In March 1997 the line became part of the Silverlink Metro franchise, owned by National Express, and trains carried its distinctive blue and green livery.
London Overground took over the local service between London’s Euston station and Watford Junction from Silverlink Metro in 2007
London Overground Class 378 EMUs progressively replaced Silverlink’s Class 313s and 508s from 2010. They are based on the Bombardier Electrostar design and were built at Derby.
The first Class 710 set ran on the line on 9th September 2019 and they progressively replaced most of the Class 378s.
This video has extensive coverage of the days when Class 501s ran the service, alongside 1938 Tube Stock on the Bakerloo line, plus a brief view of the Oerlikon stock. The Silverlink Metro period is also featured, as well as the days when Class 378s provided all the services. Finally, the introduction of the new Class 710s is well covered.
Duration:- 83 minutes
Photography:- John Laker
Narrator:- Paul Ross
Produced by:- J&K Video, 30, Park Way, Feltham, Middlesex, TW14 9DJ.